Tuesday, September 4, 2012

The American

I actually considered giving this movie a third star, but I realized that was just the power of Clooney. I found this film visually striking but otherwise lacking. It makes for a wonderful Italian postcard.
          Mildly shameful admission: I fast fowarded through many of the silent portions, making the movie far more watchable. I would have been much more bored and downgraded it further as a more static theater experience.
           That says it all I think. Clooney is never bad, and I actually enjoyed him in a more understated performance. The problem was the whole movie was just a notch TOO mellow given the subject matter. Kudos for not going with a more traditional shoot 'em up script. The problem is the decision to couple that with such an old fashioned and predictable character arc and ending. This combination lends an overall flatness to the whole thing. Absolutely pleasant, but utterly forgettable.
2/5 stars

Watch or Skip

No comments:

Post a Comment